Sunday, October 18, 2009

NYC Sirens vs. Central Park Rangers RED

NYC Sirens (forfeit)
STATE CUP * Round 1
East River Park * East 6th street field
Time: 9:00am

----- match report by Vickie Gibbs

Sunday morning ... 7:30am ... I wake up and look outside ... It's still raining ... And it looks cold ... I hit snooze ... 10 mins later the alarm goes off again ... I think about playing soccer in the wet rain, which can be fun -- but it's rather cold ... I realize that probably isn't my first choice of things to do this morning ... But I remember that Dana said we only had 11 girls today, so I know I can't let my teammates down ... I get up, and start the layering process to prep for the cold ... By the time I leave the apartment, I feel like the kid from A Christmas Story ....

Instead of walking from the subway to the field, I take a cab ... 2 benefits: it's dry in the cab and I'm running late, so it's the only way I'll be on time :) ... I arrive at the field and there's a men's game going on ... I look around and see the men's subs hanging outside the locker room ... I don't think they spoke any English, but as I was looking for my teammates, or any other women players, one of the guys nicely catches my eye and motions for me to go inside ... The door opens and I hear a bunch of girls -- yay, I found everyone! The struggle to get out of bed and make it to the field on time is not all for naught!

I go into the locker room to find a full team for the opposing team ... At the other end of the locker room I see 4 others from our team, Emily, Christine, Kate, and of course our fearless leader Dana ... The time is 8:50am ... The ref comes in and tells us he'll give us 20 mins for the rest of our team to arrive ... A few mins later Kerry arrives -- she wasn't even supposed to play but her other game was cancelled so she came to help ... So now we have 6 ... Mary is on her way, but has a long trip ... She would make 7 ... But 7 vs 11 against an A division team -- not really worthwhile ... We wait until 9:30 ... The ref comes in and we are forced to forfeit ... Dana is quite upset, the rest of us are disappointed ... Where are out teammates??

Instead of scrimmaging, we all decide that good drink and warm food sounds like a pretty good option :) ... Unfortunately in NYC, the city doesn't expect folks to be up before 11am on a Sunday, so the first 2 places we try are closed ... But we finally end up at Grape and Grain ... Dana looks expectantly in the window and motions the guy over to ask when they open ... He asks how many we have as he looks at us in the cold rain ... Dana tells him 5, and he says he'll set up a table for us and let us in early :) ... The Lychee Bellinis, warm food, and good conversation made for an excellent, yet unexpected morning ... One topic of conversation -- what happened to the rest of our team!

------Vickie Gibbs
________________________________________________________________

In attendance: Vickie, Emily, Christine, Kate, Dana P, Kerry
On her way: Mary
No Shows and Last Minute Bail Outs: Amanda, Gracie, Katie, Stephanie, Katelyn

No comments: